The following Distance Learning Plans and Guidelines are designed to be able to cater/address all students in the three categories:
- Category 1
For students who do not have internet access, mobile devices and other source-related electronic equipment will be provided with printed Learning Modules/Self-Learning Packets and will be performed by the students at home.
- Learning Packets/Modules will be prepared by the teachers. These contain easy to follow Instructions, Learning Goals/Objectives, Discussion, Activities for Students, Engagement Exercises (Practices and Application), Synthesis and Assessment. Feedback space in every topic is provided for students to write questions/clarification or asking for more exercises.
- Learning Packets/Modules will be picked up in school on a scheduled day. Mondays for those with Quarantine Pass (QP) A and Tuesdays for those with Quarantine Pass (QP) B.
- Designated/Labelled boxes per subject per grade level will be placed at Gate 1.
- Health protocols must be observed. No mask, no entry; disinfection upon entering the campus, body temperature check and foot bath.
- Vehicles are not allowed to get inside the campus.
- Pick-up time is from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM only. To observe social distancing, the following will strictly be implemented:
- 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM – Grade School
- 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM – Junior High School
- 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM – Senior High School
- 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM – For parents with children in two or three
department (GS, JHS & SHS)
- Students are expected to dedicate appropriate time to learn using the Learning Packets and other instructional materials and are required to answer/perform activities and submit all assignments, answered activity sheets on due dates with academic honesty.
- Submission of Activity Sheets, assignments, etc. is once a week, every Monday for QPA and every Tuesday for QPB. Designated drop boxes will be placed at Gate 1. Parents are expected to bring to school all answered Performance Tasks.
- Parents/Guardians are asked to collaboratively work with the teachers by reminding their children to perform their learning tasks and monitor their children’s progress at home.
- Teachers are asked to follow –up students through phone calls, SMS and other means.
- Required to take Summative Assessment in school on a scheduled day if already be allowed by Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF).
- Category 2
For students who do have irregular Internet access but have at least a mobile device with messaging capability at home.
- Printed Learning Packets and/or online teaching-learning will be provided. Teachers will communicate to students learning Goals, Objectives, Activities, etc. through SMS, emails, and other online platforms. All learning tasks for the week will be posted every Monday.
- Students are expected to check their emails, messenger, etc. to download, and work on the learning tasks assigned to them by their teachers.
- Submit/Upload all assignments and other required documents on due dates with academic honesty.
- Students are expected to dedicate appropriate time to learn by downloading the learning tasks online for information, assignments, etc.
- Parents/Guardians are asked to collaboratively work with the teachers by reminding their children to perform the learning tasks and require them to submit all assignments promptly on line
- Required to take summative assessment in school if already be allowed by IATF.
- Category 3
For students who have stable internet access, mobile, devices and other related resources at home.
- Learning Packets in digital form will be provided.
- Online Google Classroom will be used by the teachers to ensure quality, student learning experiences.
- Teacher will upload Learning Goals, Objectives, Activities, etc.. All Learning Tasks for the week will be posted every Monday.
- Students are expected to attend as much as possible the regular synchronous engagements offered by each of their teachers
- Students are required to download all learning activities posted
- Submit all assignments and other required documents/projects online with academic honesty
- Take summative assessment in school if already allowed by IATF.
- Parents/Guardians are requested/asked to collaboratively work with the teachers by reminding their children to perform learning tasks and require them to submit all assignments promptly on line.
Source: Shanghai American School Distance Learning Plan
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Support their children in their learning by:
a. providing/designating a place (part in the house) that is conducive to learning (access to technology, safe and quiet space)
b. monitoring time spent in performing learning tasks online and offline
c. encouraging/motivating their children to attend synchronous engagements scheduled by the teachers
d. establishing routines (class schedules) for their children and strictly follow-up schedules
e. communicating with the teachers and school authorities
f. lovingly disciplining their child/children to become responsible in the learning.
g. instilling the values of faith, excellence and service in their children
h. contacting the school authorities on issues related to their child/children’s learning.
- Identify a safe and quite space (part in the house) to study/learn
- Dedicate appropriate time to learning comparable to a school day as guided by the teachers through modules or online platforms
- Perform daily learning tasks as stipulated on the modules (Category 1) and online instruction (Category 2 and 3)
- Check appropriate online platforms for instruction, assignments, and other requirements (Category 2 and 3)
- Attend the regular synchronous meetings scheduled by the teacher
- Submit modules/online activities and other requirements or on due date with academic honesty
- Develop healthy habits by properly scheduling activities
- Communicate with the subject teachers on issues relating to assignments, learning tasks and other instructional resources
- Practice consistently the values of faith, excellence, and service in performing their daily tasks